Friday, December 2, 2011

RSVP: Yes!

God is inviting you to rest~ are you listening?
Planning and prepping for a party can be fun, but also stressful.  Why?  Well, if you've planned one (and I've only done a few) there are so many needs to think of, aside from the beautiful ideal you, as the hostess, have in your mind...that sometimes it leads to a lot of unnecessary stress.  And the holidays are notorious for this sort of thing.  Just recently I helped host a holiday open house, and while I enjoyed the time, it didn't turn out the way we (my friend/ business partner, and I) anticipated.  One aspect that was hard for me, was the fact that several individuals did not respond to our invitation, and I was left to wonder, why?  I'm not sure if the online invite malfunctioned, or if the party was simply one more thing to think about for some people....but it led me to explore my heart in a new way....


This morning, I caught a Midday podcast from earlier this week, dealing with "Invitations from God".  In this podcast, guest Adele Calhoun spoke of the many ways God pursues us, and how often we ignore Him or RSVP with a No, thank you!  I know this is true in my life.  In my flesh, it seems easier (though more destructive) to live according to my own desires, than to learn to walk in the Spirit in new ways.  Often God is calling me to deeper rest in His Spirit, and I prefer to settle into the comfortable ruts of my old nature, rather than stepping into the light of His presence.  Can you relate?  As a result, I become frustrated with either myself, the current struggle, or another person (even God), and it is simply because I missed the invitation that was sent to me, via the divine Spirit of God....to take up HIS yoke, which is easy, His burden light.  (Matthew 11)  


28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”  


Now, I am not saying that life is going to be all roses and ruffles...but I can speak for myself and say that oftentimes I make things harder than they need to be....when the offer of REST is extended...and I choose NO.  


There were many challenging and practical applications on this podcast, including exploring weaknesses such as defensiveness and being an interrupter vs. a listener, among other things.  I am working through many of these things in my own life and marriage, so I could truly relate.  But I find that there is HOPE.  Although I have so far to go in my journey of holy living...I am comforted by the fact that Christ is walking with me, my sweet husband will continue to be patient with me as I grow, and the believers around me will cheer me on....Even more--there is eternal rest waiting for me in heaven!!  I trust you are finding hope in the provisions of the Gospel and all that it means in your daily life.  Truly, we have all we need in Christ.


By Grace Alone~
Ruth

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are a blessing to me....