Monday, December 5, 2011

Great Expectations

Okay, so I've never read the above book....shame on me....but I have done my share of expecting....Putting expectations on myself, others, or even God.  This Christmas, I'm giving the gift of humble expectations, rather than the outrageous ones that plague me....or those I love, when I'm around.  I'm trusting that God will fill me with hope as He fulfills my deepest longings, rather than living under the slavery that comes when I am bound to my pride and demanding-ness.  How?  Not in my own strength, that's for sure!

You see, Christmas always brings with it great expectations for me.  And this became very evident to me when my love and I started having some conflict surrounding what our Christmas would look like.  We both had great ideas....it's just that neither was really willing to budge....an inch....to compromise in love for the other.  I'm happy to say we're on the other side of that now (for the most part ;) )

You see, Christmas was always a wonderful time for me growing up--lots of family, food, and the magic that most parents work hard to create for their blessed little youngsters.  It was not perfect by any stretch, but I loved the glow of the lights, all the presents, the handmade things we made together, the baking, the eating, the singing, and the list goes on.  It was days and days of enjoyment and it led me to believe that Christmas was about making ME happy, not always about bringing glory to God.  Now, that's not to say that I hadn't progressed a little further from my more self-centered childhood, but it turned into the season being about having the perfect gifts to give, and recreating that special once-a-year time for ME, rather than truly thinking about what would bless others in this season of joy, giving, and remembrance.

Now that I am becoming one with someone else....a very dear someone else....it can't be about me anymore.  Technically, there is no 'me' anymore....not at least as I used to be.  This Christmas, I have the chance to lay down my desires, serve my sweet husband, and together discover the beauty of new Christmas traditions, values, and the chance to bring glory to God together.

Sounds like a wonderful opportunity to become less of me and more of HIM....and isn't that what this month is all about?  The man-Christ, who laid aside His kingly rights and humbled Himself enough to be born in a manger, so that we could be born again into His family as Eternal brothers and sisters.  I am so thankful that Christ chose me to be in His family!  Tonight I choose to lay aside my rights, to further the earthly family that God is creating for me, and to bring glory to God.

What are you expecting this holiday?

By Grace
Ruth

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are a blessing to me....