Monday, November 28, 2011

Books I'm Reading

Thought I'd say hello to all you who are surfing the web for deals today!  I am home, keeping busy with various things -- its amazing how dirty a little space can get with only two people-- can't imagine what adding kids would be like!  I have enjoyed some decorating projects also, and am hoping to get the place looking a little more like Christmas soon...

Nonetheless, I'm thankful for some time off of my morning tutoring job as the family is enjoying their holiday travels.  I was blessed to visit friends and family up north and meet my dear friends' new little boys from Ethiopia and my sister's little bundle of joy as well!  So thankful for cheap flights on Allegiant Air and the deal we got for our Blue Man tickets while on board!  (If you follow me on FaceBook, you can find the photos for that awesome show there :) 

I wanted to share some books I am reading and really enjoying.  Creative, Healing, and Holiday Joy are some ways I'd describe them.  To start with, you'll want to check out Madeline L'Engle's Walking on Water.  Her writing is deep, prose is beautiful, and her thinking is clear, cogent and challenging.  She pushes back the walls we put up to protect our faith in neat little boxes, with no mess, but sadly, oftentimes, no Christ, either.  The context is the joining of faith and art, and many different ways that these topics come together.  If you or someone you know is the creative type, or if you just want your Sunday-best faith to be challenged a little, I'd recommend this read!

The second book is a new one, by Renee Swope, entitled, A Confident Heart.  I picked it up at the recommendation of Ann V, one of my personal faves in the blog world, and I have not been disappointed.  If you know my story (and I promise to fill you in on that more eventually), you know I was always a very confident gal, until my world got turned upside down, and my faith and joy with it.  It's been a long process to get to the other side of that sovereignly planned crisis, so opening my heart up to the truths in Swope's book is like using a good exfoliator.  Can you relate, ladies?  It might burn a little, but it makes your skin shine and opens up the pores for your deep, luxurious creams?  Just like a good book that pricks at your heart and opens you up for the healing love of Christ, that cannot be counterfeited.  If you or someone you know is struggling to trust in God's goodness and move past pain, this might be a good one!

And lastly, another one from Ann Voskamp, only this is one that she put together herself, A Jesus Advent Celebration.  You can find it available for free printing and distribution for personal use at her website, A Holy Experience.  This Advent journey comes with ornaments and readings for every day of the month of December and although I've only used it since last year, it was such an encouragement to me that I hope it would be for you too.  If you don't have a Christmas Advent tradition, this might be one to try!

Well, that's all for now, but let me know if you decide on any of these books and what you think!  I'd be curious to know....

Blessings
Ruth

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are a blessing to me....