Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Praise His Strength {Day 2}

Jesus has a way of taking us to the places where we don't want to go to get us to where we really want
to go.... what?!  Yeah, it's that 'backwards theology' of the Bible.  Making us weak so we have to rely on His perfect strength.  And wow, I'm there.  I'm very American in that I don't want to feel my lack of strength.  At. all.  But I have had countless experiences where I was taken to a place of surrender, a place in life where I had no choice but to rely on the strength of God and that of my brothers and sisters in Christ.  It's humbling, for sure, but it is oh-so-sweet.

I sat with a dear friend at lunch and discussed the tendency we have in modern Christendom to resist vulnerability.  It's so unnatural to put your heart out there in a conversation, only to be misunderstood or unappreciated.  However, He offers himself to us everyday, and we often reject Him.  As tough as it is to be vulnerable with others, offering our weak hearts to Christ will never be unsafe.  Never unwelcome. Never undesired or rejected or any of those things we fear in our relationships.  Jesus welcomes our weakness...He doesn't reject us for needing Him.  He welcomes our neediness, so to speak.  He delights to bestow His strength and power on us, and does so lavishly and generously.  I've come to see that relying on my own strength forfeits the wonderful opportunity I have to rely on His limitless strength.

As I set out for my trip to Ghana, West Africa, several years ago, I felt a sense of fear wash over me.  I was reminded of Isaiah 41:10 by a dear mentor, and remember what a source of strength that passage was to me over those 8 weeks:

"Do not fear, for I am with you; do not be afraid, for I am your God.  I will strengthen you; I will help you; I will hold on to you with my righteous right hand."

Every time I read that, I picture my Father God taking my feeble hand in His big, strong, capable right hand, and walking me through whatever tough situation I am facing, like a small child and her Father.

He wants to do that for you too, friend.  Will you allow yourself to be 'weak' enough to need Him in that child-like way?

Lord God, we praise you for your strength and how we can unreservedly come to you with our weaknesses.  We delight in your limitless power and the fact that we can draw from you and your resources - never to come up empty.  You are beyond our comprehension, dear Jesus.  You are more than anything we can ever imagine.




Grace & Peace to you, friends....

Ruth

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are a blessing to me....