Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Reminders from a Hard Day

We all want the good days.  The days when our souls fly high like a kite on a blustery day.  We (or is it only me?) like to feel confident, self-assured, and fearless.  But some days we feel confused, uncertain, and afraid.  The emotions threaten to undo us, and we lean helplessly on the structures around us, whether church, friends, family, and the like.  I'm wondering if this is as bad as we might think, however.

Is it a bad thing when I realize my need for Grace, and that I am not the Source, but the servant (Ann Voskamp)?  Is it a bad thing when I have to cling to the promises of my Father's love and unmerited favor?  Is it too awfully terrible to have to humble myself and reach out for help, when I come to the end of my own resources?

Somewhere in the middle of this hard day, I decided that the answer to all those questions is...NO.  It is not.  And while I did not have a terrible, horrible, no good very bad day, like Alexander....it did humble me and remind me that like Paul, I must cling to the promise that my life was created to exalt the Gospel and not myself (Philippians 1:12).  

And because of that, today I rejoice.  Although my plans had to change, my to-do list was not completed, and my pride and self-confidence were pricked a bit....I am beginning to see that this, too, can bring glory to my Great God and Father, His Son, Jesus Christ, and the Spirit that lives within us and makes us holy.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are a blessing to me....