Saturday, December 18, 2010

Splinters

I sat at home after a full night, and though I wanted to fall asleep, my finger throbbed strangely.  What is this that is keeping me up?  Come to find out, the pinecone craft at our evening school function had left me with a small splinter, and this, of all things, was stealing my rest.  It quickened my thoughts to splinters in my life, in other places...small things, like a careless word here, or a unkind thought there, that fester under the skin and rob me of the joy, peace, and rest God promises this season, and throughout the year.  How easy it was to pull out a trusty needle and do minor surgery on this bothersome piece of pinecone.  But it is sometimes harder to look carefully at the words, thoughts, and weeks all blurring together, a life lived sometimes close to my sharp two-edged Sword, and sometimes distant. 

Hebrews 4:12 (NIV)

 12 For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.

So now I am thinking, what 'splinters' in my heart need to be exposed, removed, and wounds washed clean?  Over the next two weeks, as I rest from work, I will prepare for Christ to be welcome in my temple, a temple needing to be cleansed of sin, connected with community, and joyous in the Hope that came to us one cold night, in a rugged stable.  Dear Lord, come live in us this season.  Expose our splinters, that turn into festering wounds, and fill us with Your Spirit of Love, Hope and Joy...we are anxious for more of You.  Thank you for humbling Yourself to come to our dark world, for knowing the only Answer to our soul-emptiness, and setting us free from ourselves.  We are grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are a blessing to me....