Monday, June 20, 2011

Remembering God's Grace

Well, we are going to try and get back to 'Monday Memorial Stones'...because it is just as good for me to remember God's faithfulness as it might be for you!  Check out this post to catch up with what we are doing in this series...

Today I went to my old stand-by, the book of Isaiah, for some spiritual encouragement...and I was sure to find it!  Sometimes slogging through all the Old Testament in a row, with the woes of those awful kings, and the crazy Levitical laws...well it just makes me a little crazy too (okay, enough with the confessions...)  But seriously, sometimes I need to just go back to some of my favorite books and passages, and that is what I tried today.  [Actually, I just came across this 'Genres-Literature Style-Bible Reading Plan' and am so excited to give it a try.  This plan goes through each genre style of the Bible in one week, so that the reader is able to keep things interesting and encouraging as he/she reads through the Bible in a year.  I will let you know how it goes!]  But as for MMS...

Reading Isaiah 28 this morning reminded me of God's faithfulness to both the Israelites, and to me in giving grace when I couldn't handle the fire anymore.


Here is the passage that reminded me of that today:


23 Listen and hear my voice;
   pay attention and hear what I say.
24 When a farmer plows for planting, does he plow continually?
   Does he keep on breaking up and working the soil? 

25 When he has leveled the surface,
   does he not sow caraway and scatter cumin?
Does he not plant wheat in its place,
   barley in its plot,
   and spelt in its field?
26 His God instructs him
   and teaches him the right way.
 27 Caraway is not threshed with a sledge,
   nor is the wheel of a cart rolled over cumin;
caraway is beaten out with a rod,
   and cumin with a stick.
28 Grain must be ground to make bread;
   so one does not go on threshing it forever. 
The wheels of a threshing cart may be rolled over it,
   but one does not use horses to grind grain.
29 All this also comes from the LORD Almighty, 
   whose plan is wonderful, 
   whose wisdom is magnificent.

I can recall many times when I was experiencing great trials, feeling as if I was at the end of my rope...and after crying out to the Lord, I would see the tides turn.  Not immediately, mind you...but I believe that God is a gracious God and Father, and he does not give us more than we can handle.  His goal is not to see how much we can suffer!  But I do believe that He is forming us into the image of Christ, and oftentimes, that is a little painful!  Can I get an 'Amen'?  *smile*  Be encouraged today, that your All-Wise Farmer knows just how much plowing and breaking in our stony hearts you and I can handle, and nothing happens to any of us that has not first passed through His hand.  Remember Job?  There was a heavenly discussion about his impending trials before they happened, and if you remember, God limited the Enemy from doing more to Job than He (God) wanted Satan to do....  

I take comfort in this today, that there are Mighty Forces guarding my path and lighting my way...and if you are His child, the same is true for you!

A blessing to leave you with:

Isaiah 30: 18
Yet the LORD longs to be gracious to you;
   therefore He will rise up to show you compassion.
For the LORD is a God of justice.
   Blessed are all who wait for him!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are a blessing to me....