Saturday, October 2, 2010

Confessions of a Book Addict, part 1

Hi, my name is Ruth.  I'm a Book Addict.  I've been addicted to books since age 4, when I started counting red and blue fish with Dr. Suess.  I suppose there are worse things to be addicted to, but I'm afraid there is no freedom from my habit.  While I do not blame them (I am the one reading all the books...) my parents were the first to feed my habit, and they did so quite generously.  Aunts, uncles, grandparents, Sunday school teachers, and school-teachers all made it easy for me to continue with my addiction.  The smell of a new book is just so irresistible for me!  Perhaps if I got into e-books I would lose my love-affair with books, but I can't seem to take that step (to the dismay of my dear love...who prefers e-books)...

I am writing this post in hopes that if you, too, struggle with a book-addiction, you might be able to get the help you need before it is too late.  I believe this will be a life-long problem for me, and so I am warning you that too many books will open up your world to ideas and convictions that you may never be able to turn from.  If you hope to steer clear of this overwhelming and life-altering habit, I urge you, DO NOT make lots of friends who also love books and love discussing them together.  Following in my foot-steps is not the way to go, unless you are willing to give in to freedom, joy, purpose, and a life radically different than the culture. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are a blessing to me....