Friday, January 25, 2013

He giveth and giveth and giveth....again.


This is not my video, but it captures so well the grace that God has showered on me over the years....

{Writing again with the Five Minute Friday gang .....click here.

I woke with a list of all the things I needed to do to earn God's favor this day.  Surprised that I phrased it that way?  I am too.  Is it wrong to have a list of items we need to accomplish?  Of course not.  But I lose sight of God's mercy when I have my good-girl attitude about how all my praying, and serving, and loving will make me feel about myself and my life as a Christian.  I see this in my classroom too, as it is hard to draw the line between doing things that will make me feel like a good teacher, vs. doing what will actually help the kids feel loved and to grow in their knowledge and character.  Quite a difference, I think.  But back to the list.  The list that grows as I grow in my passion to 'do' rather than 'be'.  And as it grows, my confidence in God and His gracious mercy shrinks.  Instead, today I will embrace the request of my husband as he walked out the door this morning:  'try to enjoy your day honey, don't give yourself a tension headache again.' There's that word:  AGAIN.  I give myself a headache over and over, as I recite my imperfections, rather than reciting the words of Christ as he showers mercy on me:  "Come unto me, all who are weary and heavy laden, and I will give you rest." I have to remind myself of this over and over, again and again.  The day will always start with a list....and I will see again, as I close each day, that He giveth and giveth and giveth again.  

Words to the cherished hymn from Annie Flint:


He giveth more grace as our burdens grow greater,
He sendeth more strength as our labors increase;
To added afflictions He addeth His mercy,
To multiplied trials He multiplies peace.
When we have exhausted our store of endurance,
When our strength has failed ere the day is half done,
When we reach the end of our hoarded resources
Our Father’s full giving is only begun.
Fear not that thy need shall exceed His provision,
Our God ever yearns His resources to share;
Lean hard on the arm everlasting, availing;
The Father both thee and thy load will upbear.
His love has no limits, His grace has no measure,
His power no boundary known unto men;
For out of His infinite riches in Jesus
He giveth, and giveth, and giveth again.