Wednesday, April 4, 2012

It was a {mostly} beautiful day: what to do with expectations

Our anniversary came and went, and I enjoyed just about every minute.  The moments I could have done without were the ones where my sin nature and expectations for my husband put a dark cloud over the sunshine of the event.  Paul had done a great job thinking through how to make our anniversary special:  first it was the plan to take a trip on the Rivership Romance here in Central Fl, but we eventually found out it closed last year.  Then it was the Melting Pot--wow!  I thought that was a great idea, and so did Paul, but the thought of feasting on unhealthy food, and gouging our pocketbook didn't sit right with us.  So I scoured the internet for fondue recipes and ideas.....(I'll include the recipes we used below).  In the meantime, my attitude could have been better.  I felt neglected, for some silly reason (sin) and my dear sweet husband had to put up with me while I sorted out my feelings.  It turned out to be a wonderful day, having lunch together at Paul's workplace, taking a walk together, and then fondue and fruit pizza for dinner (followed by reading and enjoying the evening at home).

I am so thankful that God brought my sin to my awareness, and on our morning walk yesterday I was able to confess this to God and Paul.  {confessing sin is step number one!} Shortly after, God brought the fun ideas to my mind and I could sense Him quickly turning things around for us.  Oh, did I mention that Paul wrote me an incredibly sweet love letter and brought some lovely flowers home too?  Just like I doubt God, it is easy to doubt my dear husband (through no fault of his own).  But it is Grace to see my sin, repent, and walk a new road.  {walking a new road in Grace is step number two!}  I'm learning, even if slowly.  Enjoy the photos and blessings on your day!  Ruth

 Let's start with dessert!  (I made this the night before)....

Okay, so I was really proud of my creation :)
This tradition was started by Mom & Dad





























Mom's Fruit Pizza

1 cup flour

1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup butter
8 oz. cream cheese
1/2 cup granulated sugar
Assortment of fresh and/or canned fruit
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 T. cornstarch

With a fork, combine flour, pwd.sugar, and butter until coarse
crumbs are formed. Sprinkle evenly over a 12 or 13 inch pizza pan.
(Sometimes I take 1 1/2 times the recipe and use a larger pan.)
Press crumbs to form a crust and bake for 15 to 20 min. in a 325
degree oven.  Cool.
Combine cream cheese and 1/2 cup sugar and spread over cooled crust.
Chill crust while preparing fruit.
Reserve 1 cup juice from a can of peaches or pears and combine with
1/4 cup sugar and cornstarch in a small pan. Cook and stir till mixture thickens and bubbles.  Cool and spread over the fruit which has been arranged over the crust. Chill.

***I used Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free flour and xanthan gum in place of regular flour as we are trying to stay away from flour for health reasons.  It still tasted great!


Paul at our anniversary lunch, card with photo memories of our honeymoon
Power Salad for lunch (thanks, Mom, for this one too!):

Makes 8-10 servings, prep: 25 min, cook: 27 min, chill: 2-12 hours

1/4 cup chopped walnuts
2 1/4 lb sweet potatoes (about 4 medium), peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
2 lb. Granny Smith apples (about 4 medium), cut into 1/2 inch cubes
2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice (about 2-3 limes)
2 Tbsp. no-calorie sweetener (I used coconut sugar, my fave)
3 Tbsp. raisins
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup plain fat-free yogurt (I used Greek)
3 Tbsp. reduced-fat mayonnaise (I used Olive Oil mayo)

1.  Heat nuts in a small nonstick skillet over medium-low heat, stirring often, 8-10 minutes or until lightly toasted and fragrant (I actually forgot to do this and they were still okay if you are short on time).
2.  Arrange sweet potatoes in a steamer basket or stainless-stell colander in a 4-6 quart Dutch oven over boiling water.  Cover and steam 16-17 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender (I would recommend longer as mine were not quite done).  Plunge potatoes into ice water to stop the cooking process; drain.
3.  Place apples in large bowl.  Sprinkle with lime juice and no-calorie sweetener; toss gently to coat.  Stir in sweet potatoes, raisins, salt, and 3 Tbsp walnuts.
4.  Stir together yogurt and mayonnaise.  Add yogurt mixture to sweet potato mixture, tossing gently to coat.  Sprinkle with remaining 1 Tbsp. walnuts.  Cover and chill 2-12 hours.  Enjoy!

We also had Snapea Crisps--a new discovery at Walmart that is healthy (I think?) and just as yummy as chips.


Pizza Fondue!
Pizza Fondue Recipe for dinner

I used grape tomatoes, pineapple, green peppers, artichoke hearts, mushrooms, and gourmet meat slices, such as capicola for the dippers.  It was a hit, and much cheaper and healthier than The Melting Pot!  We felt no need to overeat because we had paid a fortune, and we also have leftovers for tonight! :)

Lovely and thoughtful flowers from Paul

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I cannot believe it has been a year, and yet what a busy year you both have had! Glad that you are growing in grace together. May you have many grace-filled years to come!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Julie....it has been a great year. We are so excited to see what God has in store for our future, and I couldn't have a better man by my side! :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are a blessing to me....