Saturday, September 17, 2011

Life on the Back Porch


I had a moment yesterday that pierced me and quickened my spirit, speaking to me of what God is doing in my life right now...and perhaps wanting to do in yours?  Sitting at the kitchen table here at the farm, looking over piles of papers, bills, books, that are wanting attention, I glance over through the French doors onto the back porch/patio....the pool, the comfy chairs, the horse Lucy is grazing over yonder, and the wind-chimes are swaying melodiously.  Something beckons, and I leave the modern and chic, but uncomfortable chair where I sit.  I instinctively grab a book, a pen, and leave the rest behind, as they no longer can hold my attention.  As I sink into a patio chair, I realize that my plans for the day will have to change.  The busy morning working at the coffee shop will have to be replaced by a leisurely yet productive stint on the back porch.  I realize the pool is low, and as I go to fill it to the desired depth, I ask God to fill me too.  Suddenly, my plans do not matter, and I have opened up the door to what God was waiting for me to experience.  What followed was a delightful afternoon sipping a cold drink, reading, studying for my first class as a Chemistry teacher, and feeling myself let go of my striving.  My planning.  My needing to do things exactly the right way.  Living in closed doors, when the beauty of creation beckons.  Fearing the legendary pit bull next door, that supposedly will come on the property and hurt me....{you know your fears...fill in that blank}.

Perhaps you too have grand plans as to what you will accomplish today [in your own strength], what direction you'd like to see your life go [according to your time table], the striving that kills the life of your soul?  Read with me, as the Message Bible speaks to this plight, from Matthew 11:28-30:

"Are you tired?  Worn out?  Burned out on religion?  Come to me.  Get away with me and you'll recover your life.  I'll show you how to take a real rest.  Walk with me and work with me--watch how I do it.  Learn the unforced rhythms of grace.  I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you.  Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly."

I'm learning to live life 'on the back porch'....and I hope that if you haven't tapped into the beauty of this Life found only in Christ, you will join me on my journey to let go of legalism, and rest in Grace.

Ruth

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are a blessing to me....