Monday, August 22, 2011

Remembering the Oaks


beautiful colors on my walk

The day was long at some points, as I didn't have my car, and I felt the need to wander through the neighborhood where we are currently staying and shoot some photos.  I stumbled upon several very interesting trees, and that brought to mind one of my favorite scriptures, from Isaiah...

 3 and provide for those who grieve in Zion—
to bestow on them a crown of beauty
   instead of ashes,
the oil of joy
   instead of mourning,
and a garment of praise
   instead of a spirit of despair.
They will be called oaks of righteousness,
   a planting of the LORD
   for the display of his splendor.



I think it is interesting how trees, just like people, all have different personalities.  And while I am not the tree connoisseur that my brother is (shout-out to Sam!), I was having fun today marveling at God's creation.  


stretching out to serve


 I was also remembering how so many 'oaks' have gone before me and given me the shade from the world that I needed in order that I could grow and become who God was calling me to be.  Just like this tree, dear friends and family have 'stretched out' to cover me during trials and times of weakness.  


I have met some great people down here in Florida, but I will always remember what God has done through my friends and family up north....
small and spunky
 And today I am grateful for the chance I have to become an 'oak' as well, to the people that I come in contact with.  And just between you and me, I have my eye on a couple of spunky little trees, young Christians like this young sapling, that I want to encourage.  

And I am also thankful for the 'oak' that my husband is, and the big steps he is taking to be who God has called him to be!  Today is just a great day for remembering....

All because God asked the Israelites to remember that first great trip across the Sea, and what the generations to follow needed to know.  Will you remember God's goodness in your life today, as well?  

Because He is worth it, 

Ruth   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are a blessing to me....