Saturday, February 5, 2011

What makes the Son shine?

          There are always moments in the day when the clouds roll back and the Son shines--the tyranny of the urgent becomes less urgent, our challenging circumstances pale, and we experience grace.  Yesterday it was good advice from a doctor, the eager help of a student, the support of a colleague, the steady love of my promised, the bloom of an orchid after a long winter, and most of all, the soul-lifting Eternal Words of Life.  Somehow the inspired words of Scripture can penetrate my heart and doubts like no other.  Read with me in Romans:  37 No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. 38 For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39 neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.  I am reminded that I must submit myself to the truth, and yesterday the promise that I cannot be separated from God's love was a balm to my soul.  For me, it meant, 'nothing I do wrong can separate me from God's love', ...but depending on the day, it could be any number of things on the the list of 'neithers'.  Job changes, inconsiderate words, tumultuous emotions, life changes...nothing...can...separate....us....from....God's....love.  What a sweet, sweet promise.  Love that is patient, kind, long-suffering, always hopeful, believing the best of us, fighting for the truth, and that good be done on our behalf.  I am reminded again of the promise from Romans, 31 What, then, shall we say in response to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?  What peace and rest there is in holding fast to the precious promises of old.  Help us Lord, to find rest in Your Truth, as this world can be uncertain and unstable.  Forgive us when our hearts become anxious and lose sight of You.  Truly You have an inheritance for us that is unshakeable, not merely in this world, but in the world to come.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are a blessing to me....