Friday, October 22, 2010

Confessions of a Book Addict, part 2

You've got to get this book (Permission to Speak Freely).  "I'm just saying."  (Who says that?  I think I stole that phrase from one of my friends...)  But really, this book is a keeper.  What's not to love?  Anne Jackson's striking honesty, the book's numerous artful confessions from her blog (http://flowerdust.net) and book website (http://www.permissiontospeakfreely.com), and the challenge to be real among sometimes stuffy and legalistic 'church people'.  You know them.  We all do.  We've all BEEN them, in fact.  Hiding behind a pretense, covering up the obvious because of pride, shame, or fear, and consequently not embracing the true Life of Christ, to which we all have access as believers.  There's not much more I can say, except READ IT.  She stole this line from Tim Keller,  "Pharisees repent of their sins, but Christians repent for the very roots of their righteousness, too."   Wow.  I suppose I also relate to her, as she grew up a PK like me, has some similar health challenges (darn those silly chemical imbalances), and thinks true Christian community is something worth fighting for.  I was challenged, encouraged, and left wanting to be more real, not even for my own sake, but for the sake of my Christian brothers and sisters.  I hope you have the same experience!  Jesus, make us, your followers, 'real' people, not given to pretense, or the 'Pharisee-syndrome' that plagues us all.  Forgive us for the times we have hidden from You and your people.  Open up our hearts and make us new!  Amen.  (And a special thanks to my love, for suggesting it, and feeding my book habit.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are a blessing to me....