Saturday, November 13, 2010

Smiling at the Future...

I don't know if I ever would have been friends with the 'Proverbs 31' woman...she is too much of an over-achiever for me (and I will happily confess that I have been delivered from that syndrome)!  But I do love several of her life-habits, most of all, her ability to 'smile at the future'.  Over the summer, I sat down and wrote up a vision statement for myself, and it included some of this famous chapter.  But I can't get over this quote : 
     Strength and dignity are her clothing, and she smiles at the future. (Proverbs 31:25, NASB)   What would it take for me, for us, to do this more often?  I can struggle with worry and anxiety, so this is especially intriguing to me.  I would love to be there!  My guess is that this woman's joy came from a deep confidence in the unchanging character of her Great God, not her changing circumstances.  That is my challenge--getting my eyes off of the confusing and uncertain nature of life swirling around me, and back on Jesus.  I'll keep you posted on that journey, but I'm striving towards that goal.  Equally, I'm committed to surrendering my goals and dreams, in order to embrace the gifts God has waiting for me with each new day.  I am moving towards a new season in life, and with this comes new challenges, new worries and anxieties.  Sometimes the 'cares of this world' overtake me, unfortunately.  I long for a home where I can express my talents and love God's children and soon-to-be children, but finding the 'sweet spot' of both serving God and creating a safe, sacred space for myself and others sounds like a challenge.  I do not want to live for making my home a 'holy museum' of extravagant sights, smells and perfect people, but rather a reflection of the God I serve.  Unfortunately, living for MY comfort is more natural than 'daily dying' to serve others in a Christ-like manner, and though more soul-satisfying to find joy in glorifying God, it is easier to glorify myself.  My confidence is not in myself, however, so I can 'smile at the future' because I know my God, my Eternal Friend and Daddy, is committed to helping me look more like Himself, than myself.  Philippians 1:6 (NIV)  ...being confident of this, that He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.    

Hallelujah!  That is good news, something worth getting up for every day, just to see what new adventure He has waiting with the break of dawn.  Glorious future, indeed...today, tomorrow, and for eternity!  Thank you, Lord.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are a blessing to me....