Sunday, May 13, 2012

Rejoice, Childless One {and a tribute}


The following passage has always been encouraging to me, especially on days like today.  

Isaiah 54: 1-3  “Rejoice, childless one, who did not give birth; burst into song and shout, you who have not been in labor!  For the children of the forsaken one will be more than the children of the married woman,”  says the Lord“Enlarge the site of your tent, and let your tent curtains be stretched out;  do not hold back; lengthen your ropes,
and drive your pegs deep.  For you will spread out to the right and to the left,  and your descendants will dispossess nations and inhabit the desolate cities.  

I long to be a mother, but the time has not come yet.  It is an ache that most, if not all, women feel.  The longing to nurture and bring life to this world.  And yet, this passage (though also talking to Israel) is a reminder that when childless in the human sense, we have a greater opportunity to be spiritual mothers.  God has given us who are not yet mothers the call and the privilege to mother young women and children in our churches, communities, and around the world in a way that those who care for their own children often do not have the time and energy for.  I take this very seriously, and have struggled over the last few months to not have young women whom I can mentor.  So of course I was very excited when I learned of the need at our church for a Junior High women's leader....I will be checking this out this coming week, and can't wait to see what God has in store!  Middle school has always been a favorite age for me, seeing the need for extra love and attention in girls during this vulnerable and formative time.  I can remember my years as a camp counselor, and how I also gravitated towards the middle school-aged cabins.  

Last night, Paul and I had the chance to attend a African American temple here in our town, and though we felt out of place at times, I was struck by their passionate worship.  I was even more moved when the pastor asked us to stand up, and receive a word of encouragement from the Lord.  What Pastor Jones shared brought me to tears, and reflecting on it later with Paul, I realized that I have heard a similar message at other pivotal times in my life:  the message that God has great plans to use my life, to reach others for His glory, and help them move past their own personal pain.  You see, we all struggle to believe that God has a valuable calling for us, and this was a reminder to me that my calling as a wife is important, but there are also gifts and talents that God has called me to use in my church and community.  I am eager to use them!

I hope today you are encouraged to passionately pursue God's call on your life, whether you are a mother or not.  We are all called to mother as women, in some way, shape, or form.  I cannot say it as well as this quote:

Source

I'd also like to give a tribute to my own mother, who faithfully instilled in me a love for the Lord and His Word as a young age.  It's because of her faithful love and prayers that I am the woman I am today.  It is a blessing to have a mother like my own, and I realize that it means I have a great responsibility to carry on her legacy, whether with my own children some day, or spiritually now, through our church family's needs.  

God bless you on this Mother's Day, dear woman of God.  I pray you know the mothering love of our God (Isaiah 66:13), and you are encouraged in your own mothering journey.

Ruth

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are a blessing to me....