Thursday, March 15, 2012

Who I Am In Christ: United with Him

Becoming one with a wonderful man!
The dust had settled, the presents were unwrapped, and the thank you notes had been sent...but though the wedding festivities were over, the good work of becoming one had just started.  We got married at an older age (no we're not THAT old! :) but we weren't fresh out of college, so I wasn't sure how difficult the process of becoming one might prove to be.  And let me tell you, there were definitely things to work through:  how we washed the dishes, who paid the bills, how much and where we would both work, where we would live, go to church, and a host of other things.  But it has been an adventure that I wouldn't have passed up for anything....and we're going to be working on this beautiful process until Jesus takes us home.  


The process of becoming one with a spouse reminds me of the process we go through as believers, in becoming one with Christ.  We read in 1 Corinthians 6:17 (HCSB):  But anyone joined to the Lord is one spirit with Him....and I think of the 'already, not yet' reality in both marriage and our sanctification.  When we made our vows on our wedding day, we were declared husband and wife by the pastor, just as we are declared righteous and children of God when we profess faith in Christ.  But the process of becoming one, in both cases, is a long, glorious, and sometimes arduous journey.  


Just this morning in my ladies' Bible study, we were discussing this in depth:  

1 Corinthians 6:19-20  (HCSB)  19 Don’t you know that your body is a sanctuary of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, 20 for you were bought at a price. Therefore glorify God in your body.


I think differently now that I am married:  I no longer make decisions just for myself, but with my husband in mind...what would he think about this purchase?  How would he feel about this activity, new friend, outfit, etc, etc....I am not my own, in a very real sense.  And so too, with our union to Christ.  Because we are united with Him in our spirits, everything we do affects our relationship with God!  Every choice, every thought, every sin....it has bearing on our relationships with God.  Just the same, His perfection and grace have bearing on us:  we are able to access Him and find grace in every situation, most especially because He understands what we are going through:

Hebrews 4:15  (HCSB)
15 For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but One who has been tested in every way as we are, yet without sin.
My prayer for us today is that we would find deep joy in our union with Christ, and conviction to love Him passionately, knowing we are joined in our spirits, through the Holy Spirit!

Blessings,
Ruth

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are a blessing to me....