Saturday, January 14, 2012

Planting Seeds, and Trusting in God's Perfect Plans

It's been an up and down week here in our home (and that should explain my scarcity here).... But I wanted to share a story that may encourage your hearts as you work through your own life and struggles....


The words cut this past Monday morning:  "I'm sending my boys to the private school."  That, after gearing up with new curriculum, canceling other commitments, and praying over the best ways to share the Gospel.  "It seems that the boys really miss the classroom experience, you understand, don't you?"  I do, of course, and there is nothing I can do to change the family's decision to no longer need my tutoring services.  It had seemed like the perfect arrangement....I was curious about homeschooling, had prayed for a chance to give it a try, and then met this family through my tutoring company....a match made in heaven, right?  Well, apparently God had an end date in mind that I did not know about.  And though it does sting a bit, I am trying to look to the future with a smile in my heart, knowing that my Father is always up to something good.  What I am glad about is this:  I have had chances to share Truth with this family...so perhaps it was a match made in heaven.  


It didn't seem like the opportunity to share the Gospel would ever come.  We had our arrangement concerning the academic needs, and there wasn't space for talk about spiritual things, or so I thought.  Turns out, the boys have been interested in learning about God, and just a couple of weeks ago I received this email from mom:  "We're not overly religious, but the boys want to know the Christmas story....we thought you should be the one to tell them....its such a beautiful story...."  And I was whirring with excitement in my heart, thinking of all the things I could say to share my love for God, and His love for this family, expressed through His arrival on Earth as a babe, that cold night in Bethlehem.  


So the day came to tell the story, and tell I did, with a glad and thankful heart.  There were questions that day, that I happily answered, and then questions came the following day, such as:  "Mrs. Ruth, did you know that in the song 'Joy to the World,' the Lord is really God??"  Well, that one caught me off guard, so I'm not sure that my answer was sufficient, but it made me realize that God was at work.  So when the news came that my job would be ending soon, I wanted to take every opportunity I could to plant seeds.


Some planting happened just this past week as well, when our chapter book, Shiloh Season, lead us to a conversation of forgiveness.  It was my Fighter Verse for the week (and the Holy Spirit) that prompted the conversation....just when we finished the last chapter of our Shiloh book, and the story was leading towards a forgiveness theme, Romans 10: 13-14 popped in my head, and I couldn't deny that God was moving me to speak.   And so out of my mouth came this:  "Do you know what God did, when He came to Earth, died for us, and forgave our sins?"  Little Johnny (name changed) did not know, but listened intently.  And although I do not know what will grow from the conversation we had, God does....and that is infinitely better than if I was the one in control of this story.


And as for me, we shall see what God has in store for this next chapter of my life....but I am certain that He has good things planned...my part is to TRUST, as He lays out the plans.....to SURRENDER....as He moves in our hearts....and to be GRATEFUL....as our needs will most certainly be provided for, in the most miraculous of ways.


Blessings to you, 
Ruth

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are a blessing to me....